Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Privacy After The Pandemic
By: Colin Trizuto

The Covid-19 pandemic has affected people all over the world in many different ways, and has uprooted the normal life we all became accustomed to. While many people see this as temporary, and while much of it is, there is no doubt that some parts of our lives will be changed permanently. One of these things might be privacy. Throughout the world, our lives are starting to be more and more public through innovations in technology. For example, social media has taken over our lives, with billions of people actively using it every day. However, because of this current pandemic, governments and companies are trying to develop technologies to help tract infections across the globe. This has many people worrying about how private their lives are going to be after the current pandemic.

The first time our privacy was in question was in the early 2000s. At the time, portable cameras and private surveillance systems first started to be available to the public. Of course, with this, came lots of fear. It wasn’t till after 9/11 that people started to accept this in fear of public safety. At the time, those implementations were thought of as temporary, but now they are our normal. With the coronavirus being very infectious, governments are starting to make apps that track people's whereabouts and infections. It is thought of as a good way of letting the people know where to avoid, in order to help flatten the curve. And while people are accepting this now, people are worried that governments are going to keep this technology after the pandemic. Even though it’s thought of as temporary, the same was thought of during 9/11 and is now permanent.

The fact of the matter is, currently our country is very divided. There are (unfortunately) many people who don’t trust the scientists and people telling us how to combat this. And because of this, it’s creating a divide on what some people want. Some people want these tracking devices, saying that it will be beneficial in stopping this disease, while others don’t want their privacy invaded and want nothing to do with these implementations. Compare that to 9/11, and at that current exact time, most of the country was united. Everyone was against terrorism, and wanted to do anything at all to stop it, which made it easier for things to be done at the time. But because we are so divided, it makes some people worry. It all comes down to if people are willing to get rid of some freedoms in order for their safety.

Discussion Questions:

  1. Would you sacrifice your freedom in order for safety?
  2. Are you okay with these tracking devices in order to combat the virus?

Sources:

4 comments:

  1. Would sacrifice your freedom over safety?

    During this pandemic, I am sacrificing the freedom to go and be out, to stay safe and try to prevent the spread of the virus. So, in this situation I would. But I'm not so sure about these tracking devices or other technology that will share my information and data to others. I feel as though this could actually cause more issues in areas besides the pandemic fight. Also, there are probably other, less invasive, ways that virus tracking could be conducted. But, I do think that a big part of slowing the virus is self-isolation, so sacrifices of freedom in these few months, may be worth it to prevent months or maybe years of this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you sacrifice your freedom in order for safety?

    Throughout the whole pandemic, I have definitely prioritizing my safety and my families' safety as well by making sure I stay home and protect myself from getting the coronavirus. I feel that if I need to sacrifice my freedom for my safety and for the safety and well-being of my loved ones, I will do my part and do it. It is necessary for the sake of mankind and the world to do my part to combat the virus as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you okay with these tracking devices in order to combat the virus?

    Although I know technology can be very effective in combating the virus, I am unsure if these tracking devices should be used, as they could be sharing personal data and other information to others. I think that invasive technology can be used to help aid the fight against the coronavirus. Because people are already sacrificing their freedom and feeling isolated, they likely are not going to want to feel even more ostracized individually when tracking devices may share personal information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you sacrifice your freedom in order for safety?

    Yes. While it does suck that we can't go outside and see friends, I think it is worth the sacrifice for everyone's safety. It would be nice for society to return to normal, but I'm willing to give that up to make sure that the world gets through this pandemic. If anything, society's norms are a luxury, and if my short term discontent leads to a better future, then so be it.

    ReplyDelete